Fondazione Lombardia per l’Ambiente (Lombardy Foundation for the Environment, FLA) is a “nonprofit scientific foundation” established in 1986 by the Lombardy Regional Council after the dioxin emission accident which occurred at the ICMESA plant near Seveso in 1976.
In more than 20 years of activity, FLA has acquired a wide-ranging environmental knowledge, which has strictly focused on major environmental protection topics and has allowed FLA to promote and complete a great number of projects: these achievements have gained FLA its current role as a leading institution in research and promulgation on a regional and national level.Learn more about our mission and what we do.
FLA Organizational Structure
- Board of directos
- Board of Auditors
The President is assisted by the Boards of Directors in supporting the completion of FLA’s programs, activities and results dissemination, while staff offices are coordinated by a panel of experts chosen among leading scientific researchers in each issue. The Board of Directors is also assisted by a Science Advisory Board to superintend research programs.
The following offices within FLA support the mission of FLA and daily operations:
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is currently made of 12 members:
- Seven are appointed by the Lombardy Regional Council (including the pro tem Mayor of Seveso);
- Other members of the BoD are the Rectors (or their delegates) of the following five Universities: Università degli Studi di Milano, Politecnico di Milano, Università degli Studi di Pavia, Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca and Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore.
The Board of Directors is appointed by Decree of the President of the Lombardy Regional Council.
Current membership: the Board of Directors
- President: Paolo Colombani
- Vice President: Marcela Mc Lean
- Honorary President: Giovanni Bottari
- Paolo Mategazza, Rector Emeritus of Università degli Studi di Milano
- Giovanni Azzone, Rector of Politecnico di Milano
- Angiolino Stella, Rector of Università degli Studi di Pavia
- Marcello Fontanesi, Rector of Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
- Lorenzo Ornaghi, Rector pf Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
- Massimo Donati, Mayor of Comune Seveso
- Oronzo Raho
- Nicola Bellizzi
- Maurizio Arena
Current membership: the Board of Auditors
- Carlo Alberto Belloni
- Antonio Petrali
- Marco Grumo
- Carlo De Nittis
- Stefano Santucci
Appointed by the Board of Directors
Current membership: the Science Advisory Board
- Marcello Fontanesi - Chair of the Science Advisory Board and Professor of General Physics at the Università degli Studi, Milano-Bicocca
- Paolo Mantegazza, Professor of Pharmacology at the Università degli Studi, Milan
- Giovanni Azzone - Rector of Politecnico Milano
- Roberto Zoboli, Temporary Professor of Economic Policy in the Faculty of Political Science at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan
- Giovanni Cordini, Professor of Comparative Public Law and of Comparative Administrative Law in the Faculty of Political Science at the Università degli Studi, Pavia
The Science Advisory Board’s mission is to advise the Board of Directors on relevant scientific matters, review and superintend research projects and programs covering FLA’s research fields and set guidelines to help FLA outline its 5-year Strategic Plan.
Chief Science Advisor
Antonio Ballarin Denti, Chair of the Division of Mathematics and Physics and Professor of Envinronmental Physics at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Brescia.
The following offices within FLA help support its mission and are coordinated by a leading panel of experts:
Air Quality and Climate Change
- Antonio Ballarin Denti – Chair of the Division of Mathematics and Physics and Professor of Envinronmental Physics at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Brescia
Natural and Technological Hazard / Integrated Risk management
- Giuseppe Pastorelli – Senior consultant in Environmental Engineering
Environmental Economics, Sustainable Development and Local Agenda 21
- Stefano Pareglio – Associate Professor of Environmental Economics at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Brescia
Education, Biodiversity and Protected Areas
- G. Matteo Crovetto - Director of the “Agro-Zootechnics” Institute in the Division of Animal Science at the Università degli Studi, Milano
Physical Agents and Acoustic Zonation
- Elio Sindoni – Chair of the Division of Environmental and Territorial Science (DISAT) and Professor of General Physics at the Università degli Studi, Milano-Bicocca
Compliance and Enforcement
- Barbara Pozzo – Professor of Comparative Private Law at the Università dell’Insubria